Friday, May 2, 2008

because tim wants to procrastinate...

heres a picture of Lala (my neice, left), me (the white chick), kadi (the adoooorable next door neighbor that likes to hold my hand and walk with me, right) and aminata (the maid who is wonderful and has the best laugh, standing)
so yesterday, my phone rings and guess who it is? (you wont guess) nikki stennes! my wash u friend studying in scotland at the moment and the worlds greatest weather woman. it was super exciting to be talking to her (ohhh technology!) andddd she told me her mom reads my blogs which is kind of exciting... shout out to Mrs. Stennes!


anywho, i worked at the coop for 4 hours yesterday and had some really solid interviews with the women. i think my research is coming a long just lovelyly. then theres the whole paper writing thing... well see how that goes. i was going to do that now but tim wants to procrastinate and all...


malians really love mayonnaise too much. who knew? very popular: mayonnaise sandwich. there are these really horrible billboards for mayonnaise that say the brand at the top and then have a picture with 1. a salad 2. a dead fish with its eyes missing (on the salad) 3. 5 large globs of mayonnaise on top of it all. its really the most unappetizing thing ive ever seen and somehow several mayonnaise brands have chosen to use the same image. yuck.


beautiful things of the day:


  1. people that hold strangers' children on their laps on the sotrama because the stranger has more than one (not uncommon)

  2. little bright red furry spiders that emerge in the garden after it rains

  3. adiaratou's (woman at the cooperative) laugh when i say something surprisingly complex in bambara

  4. the song: dunuya sira ka gelen by my rasta friend ablo

  5. koran classes held under street lamps

  6. women that get down on their knees to pray in the middle of the garden in 110 degree heat

  7. fire hydrants that arent near anything even remotely flammable

  8. refrigerated mangoes

  9. oranges squeezed into orange juice right before your eyes

i want to upload pictures from the cooperative but this computer is being a butt.


mom- i cant believe tomorrow is your bday... can we skype video chat? perhaps in the morning? call and we can make a date.



3 comments:

Timothy said...

i like oranges squeezed right INTO my eyes, but that's just me. Mangoes are only second best.

lucy said...

Beautiful things of my day:
the eastern sun is streaming through my window with its friendly greeting.
wooly sweaters
dirty fingernails from burning kumquat soil

annemarie said...

beautiful things of my day:
tea with strangers
disregard for the clock time
pigs on the beach
bright green wool sweaters
old boats
patterns of wrinkles




chileans love mayonnaise too!!! its gross and i just dont get it. damn helmans introduced to developing countries.